Friday, June 7, 2013

Zelda

As our children are growing up, we become acquainted with ideas, games, toys, shows, etc. , that, in all likelihood, we,as adults, wouldn't make time for otherwise. My son was born in 1991; I was 39. I took him to Gymboree, and had as much fun as he did, I think. We watched the premiere of "Barney" and "Thomas the Tank Engine", and he became enthralled, and so did I. " Sesame Street" fascinated me! I'm glad I could resurrect my inner child. Adam joined gymnastics, soccer and tennis,and I was the proud mama on the sidelineS. Adam had an extreme interest in Beanie Babies, Power Rangers and Pokemon. Would I have cared one way or the other about these things, if I hadn't seen all this through my son's eyes - and eventually my daughter's? Probably not. Reading with my children was a pure delight.I will always joyfully think of " Where the wild things are" and the "Narnia " series,Robin Hood, Peter Pan, Arthur and Merlin, and later, Harry Potter. A very old video game called "Blazing Dragons" grabbed hold of both of us, and that leads me to the " Zelda" video franchise. Adam loved this series of games, and, of course, Link was an obsession. He had to dress up in a Link costume for Halloween. I liked " Ocarina of Time", but then I only superficially followed the games, because Adam would play them. He liked " Majora's Mask." Fast forward to last night. Adam and I attended the concert, "Zelda: Symphony of Goddesses". It was an extraordinarily fine event.The symphony musicians were exceptionally talented and the visuals of 25 years of different Zelda story lines were both nostalgic and beautifully crafted.It was a multi- sensual experience we both truly enjoyed. We have gone to orchestral concerts often, but this symphony's composition was over the top. Two harps, grand piano, two xylophones constantly being played.All the instruments of the orchestra were included, but each section had many players. For instance, there were 6 French horns, 4 bassoons,etc. It was as if two complete symphony orchestras were combined to make exquisite music, along with the beautiful choir members.It really was a thrilling evening of wonderful entertainment. Honestly, it was one of the best concerts I have ever attended, but if I had never been exposed to the Zelda world, I would not have put this concert on my radar, and I would have missed out on a truly marvelous night , and the best part of this was sharing with my Adam. I'm glad he is a nerd like I am. Pure bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment