Thursday, June 13, 2013

Courtesy

I went to the local library yesterday, and I was taken aback by how many people were talking loud enough to be distracting,some men eating sandwiches, the chldren who were literally running around, teenagers who were chatting on their phones,a young boy who was crying. It seemed so unnerving and the opposite of a calm atmosphere I expect in such a place. Didn't anyone else- like the librarians - think this was rude, uncivilized and unnecessary? Many of the adults were on computers, for whatever reason, and a smattering were looking at periodicals. I did not see one person near the book shelves, except me. I felt like I was in a hotel lobby, and I felt outdated, like the rows of untouched reference books. ( Yes, I do have a Kindle.) I am old school, in a harried, tech world, I guess, where decorum and manners are relegated to a far back seat. The realization wasn't new; I recognized that the last few years I was teaching, because so many students were more preoccupied with smart phones and IPods than with classroom learning.It isn't the tech explosion that bothers me per se, it's the antisocial, self- absorbed behavior.All ages are guilty. Some adults leave their cell phones on during Sunday worship;they talk during a movie at the theatre;they let their kids misbehave in restaurants. If someone speaks up, the parent/ adult is affronted, as if he/ she did nothing wrong. Also,last month, I sent high school and college graduation cards and gifts to quite a few people. Out of the 10 gifts sent, I have received three lovely thank you notes. That's 30%. What about an email, text, or call to let me know the package was received- let alone a cursory thank you? All this lack of courtesy disappoints me.Is a polite society outmoded? It shouldn't be. (Some of this I have already mentioned in my "pet peeves" post from 3/25.)

No comments:

Post a Comment