Sunday, June 2, 2013

"Ice and Fire"

It's 1 am, and I can't sleep.I've been thinking about tonight's marvelous episode of "Game of Thrones."There is no need to give a spoiler alert, because I won't give anything away that I know from George RR Martin's book series "Ice and Fire." The show gets its name from the first book's title in the I&F series,which will be, supposedly, seven books.Martin is currently still finishing book six.So far, HBO has been very faithful to Martin's plot lines, and what is not to love about the casting of Peter Dinklage? I am loving this show, and am riveted, even though I know what will eventually occur.One or two episodes go by, and you might begin to think " nothing much happened tonight" and then -pow- a real surprise turn of events.That's exactly how Martin sets his reader up. Don't get too lulled into thinking any main character is safe ( Ned is dead!) surprises- How can you forget the episode when Dani walks out of the fire, or when Ned is executed, or when Dani, now Khaleesi , takes charge of the Unsullied, or tonight, which in the books is referred to as the "Red Wedding." I liked Robb - you get connected and then the rug is pulled out from under you.If you love this genre you really must read Martin.Just know his books are very lengthly, sometimes 1500 pages.His writing style is unique , encompassing many 3rd person limited points of view.He has a staggering number of characters,and some people don't like his writing or the show for that reason. The many characters, numerous plot lines and surprise twists are exactly why I love GoT. And the wit...brilliant one liners by Tyrion for instance, make for compelling reading and viewing. I haven't played the offshoot game yet, but I want to try it. I am waiting with baited breath for next week's finale. Don't count the Starks out yet, Mr. Snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment