Friday, June 28, 2013

Critic

My very first post was about my students rating me on my teaching. I learned a long time ago that even though I am speaking - or writing - to more than one person at the same time, one might like what I say, and another won't. That's ok, because I learn much from people who are my critics. I am open to reconsidering my positions, and my opinions aren't written in stone.I just like someone to have a logical disagreement with me, not just be negative to be negative.I have a FB friend, and former colleague who obviously has disdain for me based on her irritated responses to my posts. I received a long, agitated private message from her, asking me to recognize that I am an ass. Wow! That is really not very productive or helpful. I have asked her for specifics, but she says my acerbic words speak for themselves. I'm bound to offend and/or annoy a person sooner or later, but dismissing me out of hand for everything I say bothers me, because at this point in my life,I wonder why she feels the need to keep playing devil's advocate with me. You might say, " defriend her", but I am curious about her abrasive responses, and she gives me pause as an evaluation " tool "( in more ways than one ). My husband, dear friends and son can give me constructive criticism, and I know that they love me, in spite of myself. This unnamed lady doesn't make her adversarial comments from a place of Love, so I want to verbally retaliate in kind, but I don't, because it would appear defensive. After all, if I end up writing a book, I know that there could be/ will be harsh critics and rejections. I'll write anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment