Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Luck

I have never really wanted to be another person - e.g., a man-, nor any other animal for that matter. I like being female and a human, and I'm fortunate to live in this country where I'm not oppressed for my gender. When I read about burkas or acid being thrown on women or all kinds of atrocities perpetrated on women - yes, I know it can happen here - I cringe, and ask myself why I've had the luck of the draw. It's the "luck" of being born to middle class parents, growing up in"normal" circumstances, here in a democratic society.It's lucky to be of normal intelligence, without physical disabilities.I have a loving husband and healthy children. I can worship the way I want; I can go where I want and when I choose.I don't know what real poverty feels like. I have creature comforts, good food, safe water and a ( UMC) roof over my head. I'm not homeless, nor an outcast, nor mentally ill, and I have an " average" appearance, and I'm not a misfit.I am lucky that I have not been scarred by war, nor have I been put in harm's way- let alone on a daily basis, like so many people in the world.I have not been held captive, nor tortured, nor sold into slavery or sex- trafficking. I have not experienced racism or bigotry.I do not have addictions, nor did my parents, nor do my children.Millions of people worry about surviving from one day to the next; I'm not one of them.I can thrive. I call that lucky, because I'm blessed to have been born into positive environment with great DNA, and I do not feel blasé or cavalier about my fortuitous circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment