Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Faith

I am a Christian with a Methodist bent. I have friends who are atheists , agnostics, Buddhists,Muslims, etc. I am tolerant of other people's beliefs even though I do not agree with them, because after all, who am I to judge? I don 't proselytize, and this is contrary to what many Christians believe. Certainly, if somebody wants my opinion, I will express my certitude of the Trinity and the power of prayer.I believe in Miracles. Worship is vital for me, and I am thankful for Grace. I have studied the major world religions and have a cursory understanding of them. I have listened to the scientific logic of atheists and their views of Mythology. I don't want to argue, although I supposedly am called to do this.Do I feel that religions have inherent contradictions in them? Yes. Do I discount the Bible, because of inconsistencies and hyperbole? No. I do not accept the Old Testament verbatim ( I guess that would be sacrilegious and blasphemous). The Bible is sacred text to me, and the people who wrote these words down are good intentioned and inspired, but imperfect humans-as we all are- who were selective (the Apocrypha). The Book is filled with beautiful language and wonderful stories,but I also accept the gospels and epistles as true.I am intrigued by the book of Revelation, and I have heard many pastors, Doctors of Theology, scholars and lay persons, interpret it,but subjectivity is evident.I do not discount the Book of Morman; it also has beautiful text. Sometimes I have thought about going to Methodist seminary, but I have heretical thoughts , so that isn't my calling. I do think it's important to be kind, charitable, helpful and compassionate; no matter what my friends'and family's religious attitudes, this is something we find as common ground. I love them; they love me, and I know that is the main thing, after all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment