Sunday, June 2, 2013

New recipes

I rarely stick with New Year's resolutions, but so far I am still good on this year's vow to make at least one new recipe a week ( even the week after my surgery). Maybe because it is only one time a week I cook something I haven't made before that I am persevering, but I think it has more to do with trying to be a little more creative.I've been mainly doing this on Sunday evenings, because the whole family can be together. They are my guinea pigs, but actually, the attempts have been, for the most part, successful.Today I am preparing Cornish game hen with Apricot and wine glaze, and I also have made a praline sauce to go over coffee ice cream. I made homemade hummus, banana bread and pilaf, but I have made those before. Three new soups I have conquered so far: squash and coconut soup, French onion soup, and Beef burgundy.New appetizers are: chantilly mushroom and Brie focaccia, pate and goat cheeses tartlets, gruyere fondue and - if I do say so myself- some darn fine ceviche( a risky endeavor that paid off). Some new tasty salads were beet and arugula with marinated hearts of palm, grapefruit and endive and taboulley to the nines.I cooked a roman artichoke dish, a kugel side dish, and one of my favorites - stuffed jumbo pasta shells with spinach and ricotta layered with a honey and cream sauce. I made the Mustard's restaurant recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie and that, I admit, needs tweaking. In 22 weeks I've made at least 24 new recipes,and I'm out of a cooking rut. I also have made some family favorites that I haven't made in over a year: Lamb and okra with pomegranate sauce, kebobs, kousa( summer squash, parsley and eggs), stuffed French toast( filled with strawberries and mascarpone), boudin sausage and dirty rice, Napoli lasagna, chicken divan with broccoli, Bouchon corks with raspberry chocolate sauce, and some huge Reuben sandwiches.Now, I started this post by saying, "one time a week". I couldn't and wouldn't do this gourmet wannabe cuisine every day. We have " normal" food like burgers and hot dogs, PBJs, chili, tacos, etc. It is just fun to do something different, and a lot less money than eating some of these dishes at restaurants. Nevertheless, my favorite thing to make is reservations,.

No comments:

Post a Comment