Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vampires

I have enjoyed vampire stories and movies since I was a little girl.Nosferatu(1922), the ugly monster type Count Orlof, really doesn't appeal to me except as a cinematic interest within the genre. I like the romanic, gothic tension between damned and redeemed, mortal and immortal, lust and love.Bram Stoker's novel and Bella Lugosi's characterization intrigued me, but I liked the more recent evolution of the tortured soul with portrayals by such actors as Langella and Oldman.I read all of Ann Rice's Lestat series, and her "Interview with the Vampire" was turned into one of my favorite movies with Cruise, Pitt and Banderas. Yea - wait for it- Brad Pitt's performance was to die for.Fast forward to the first season of "True Blood", and I loved the twists on the vampire character, and the gothic and sexual tension, but the initial good writing was gone by end of season two,and I lost interest. Vampire tales for the teenage girl don't appeal to me,so my cursory and intermittent viewing of "vampire Diaries" and the "Twilight" series found them indeed irritating. So I am now waiting with anticipation for talented Jonathan Rhyse- Meyers' depiction of the legendary character. Of course, it's network tv, but I will record the show, and give it a chance, because I love the possibility of giving new life( and dare I say, new blood) into a currently lame,over- saturated genre that has lost its bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment