Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Comfort food

We all have comfort foods that combine nostalgia, family and tastiness. I loved my beautiful mom's:meatloaf, beef stew, biscuits and gravy, turkey and stuffing,chicken and dumplings,homemade donuts, banana pudding, stuffed peppers, eggplant pie, chocolate meringue pie ( oh, that crust!),and her absolutely phenomenal yeast rolls. All these dishes were high in calories,lots of carbs, and scrumptious. On the other hand, my burly dad couldn't cook, but some of my weird, I don't-eat-in-public ,quirky,comfort foods I got from my father,and I love these items - but many people wouldn't. They are: cottage cheese with lots of Worchester sauce put on it, crumbled up Graham crackers with milk over them, liverwurst, pound cake with milk over it, and liver and onions. Whenever I eat these delicious and eclectic foods I always think fondly of my strong parents. None of this food is high brow;Mom and Dad were working class people.Yet, I always had a full and satisfied tummy, and my gifted mother cooked with love and passion;in fact, she was a great cook. My extraordinary parents were salt-of-the-earth people who knew how to really stretch a dollar to take care of their children,and like it is in many families,meals were the cornerstone of our family life. I think about them every day. Gee, I think I'll go get me a small bowl of Graham crackers now for a snack; Dad, I'm sure, is smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment