Monday, August 5, 2013

Wedding anniversary

8/16 is our wedding anniversary, 33 and counting. Alfredo Massad Orfale and I met on St.Paddy's Day, 1974.( Janet was with me and Bill was with Al and the place was 300 Bowl, which doesn 't even exist anymore.)I fell head over heels in love, but I resisted marriage.Six years later,our simple wedding ceremony was held on the lawn of Varner Hall at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan at 11am. It was a beautiful August day,which was fortunate , because we didn't have a planB, and our lunch reception followed at the San Marino Club in Troy. Al wore a linen suit and the purple tie that my dad had worn at my parent's wedding.He was truly dashing and handsome. I wore a knee length crem silk wrap dress, hat , very high strappy heels and the pearls my mom had worn at her wedding. We didn't wear formal dress, because I had been married before that and was a widow,and it was a daytime wedding, and we were paying for everything ourselves.However, many of our friends helped out for both the ceremony and reception, gratis, and my parents gave us a lovely rehearsal dinner as well.My sister Debra, who was my matron of honor, made my beautiful cream and lavender colored silk flower bouquet which I still have. Sue and Ruth both sang at the ceremony.Janet's band played at our reception.Michael Couture photographed everything.The best man, Michael Barzyk ( who died a few years ago) gave us our hotel stay for our wedding night at the Omni Westin Hotel.( What an insane,champagne filled, intimate after party we had there, too!) We had a modest and moderately priced wedding day, but it was certainly fun, and the klutz I am even fell down once on the dance floor (sometimes very high heels have their "downside."), so I had at least one embarrassing moment. We flew to wonderful French Canadian Montreal, Quebec, for our honeymoon. I look at our wedding photos and notice how young, thin and overjoyed we were ( of course).Fast forward to the 21st century. We renewed our vows in 2005 for our 25th anniversary, while we were on an Alaskan cruise, and made many more memorable moments. If we get to our Ruby year(40) in 2020, I think we may "renew" again.( My parents were 2 months short of their fortieth anniversary when my mom died, and I think about that sometimes.)I don 't care that in 2020 I will be 68; there will be kissing! Then I still will remember when we were 28, carefree, and newly wed.

No comments:

Post a Comment