Sunday, August 4, 2013

Time travel

Time travel has always fascinated me as a sub genre of Science Fiction. Of course, the concept of moving forward and backward in time,supposes the traveler ( or traveller) to be safe to go and come as she / he wishes. That's such a liberating thought, but none of it is possible( at this time), so imagining what different eras, famous people , etc. would be like, nevertheless, satisfies the historian, anthropologist, and English teacher within me. I have fantasized about seeing my parents when they were first together, having a wonderful conversation with Shakespeare, playing with Al when he was a young boy, watching what happens to my own children after I've died, listening to Jesus, observing how the heck the pyramids were built and meeting some of my ancestors. I'm thinking about this because Dr. Who starts his 12th iteration, and my son, coincidentally, just mentioned time travel in a very brief film that was posted on you tube. I remember reading Jules Vernes' " Time Machine" , and I've been hooked on the notion ever since. I liked the movie Time Traveler's Wife" and I even enjoyed all the trifling "Back to the Future" movies.( In addition, I also love the concept of parallel universes and intelligent, nonviolent extraterrestrials.) Consequently, moving between time periods is one of the main draws I have to Allen's "Midnight in Paris". I wish it were all possible, but I'm certain that in some people's hands, controlling Time would exponentially increase Evil. Fantasy, instead of the reality, keeps the magnificent idea benign.

No comments:

Post a Comment