Saturday, August 3, 2013

Musical triggers

Hearing certain songs brings forth very vivid memories of people and places. Whenever I hear "Wind Beneath my Wings", I think fondly of my mother and smile as I remember her dimples. Concerning my dad, it's "When You Walk Through a Storm", his favorite song; for some reason I think of his large, powerful hands. A whole slew of songs remind me of special moments with Alfredo, especially "Just the Way You Are", which was our first dance number at our wedding.He is an excellent dancer, and his soulful eyes make me melt. Also, anything by Santana triggers thoughts of Alfredo and Colombia. I hear "Smooth" and I think of all the times I've danced to salsa music- with or without a dancing partner. I remember dancing with Sue to "Freak Out" at the Troy Hilton, and we received applause( alcohol was involved); she has a true zest for Life! Listening to Aretha Franklin, Annie Lenox, Tina Turner and Billie Holliday always makes me fondly remember Felicia;and I remember my green leather skirt and black stiletto heels for the Lenox concert we attended together.Anything by the Doobie Brothers reminds me of bar hopping with Janet in our favorite pairs of jeans. I associate "The Rose " with Ruth as well as " The lady is a Tramp"; I've always liked her soulful voice. After many nights at Brandy's, listening to Sully, I picture him when I hear " Piano Man". I recall Jerry Libby when I hear " Take Five".Gershwin music always brings to mind Jeannine as well as her beautiful grand piano. When I hear Cocker's "You are so Beautiful to me" and Taylor's "You've got a Friend", I immediately reminisce about my sister Debra.Hymns, spirituals and gospel music remind me of Aunt Barb, Aunt Katie and Uncle Burnis, and my growing up at First Methodist Church in Pontiac. I hear Country music and I think of Pat, our shoe shopping and gambling outings, and/or my dad who always listened to it in the car while he transported all his kids to various music lessons. "Moody Blues" reminds me of Bill/ Darrow and his tarantulas. Broadway music and Ralph and Kathy go hand in hand as well as thoughts of my playing cello in the " pit orchestra" for high school musicals.Classical music makes me think of Ruth Kelly, Lon Seaboldt and Melanie Korpi. Clay Aiken, Yanni, and contemporary Christian music just shout thoughts of my dear Ms.Loretta.Lastly, whenever I hear Guaraldi's Charlie Brown music, I think of my talented, beloved son Adam.I am reminded of Shakespeare who quipped,"If music be the food of love, play on.Give me excess of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment