Thursday, September 12, 2013

North or South?

I hear people from the North talk about Southerners often as Rednecks or unsophisticated, and I hear people from the South speak of Northerners as aggressive and ill-mannered. I disagree with these assessments as too narrow, stereotypical, and uninformed. Yes, there are some Georgia good ol' boys who are still Rednecks, but I've seen plenty of white trash up North. Yes, there are many people from the North who not well mannered, but I have witnessed bad breeding first hand in Georgia.I suppose generalizations can be made about regions, but that's what they are- generalizations. Regional uniqueness is expected, but regions aren't different countries for God's sake. I know many fine, outstanding individuals from both parts of the country.Nevertheless,some people here in Georgia are still fighting against the " War of Northern Aggression ", and Southern "hospitality" depends on who you encounter.Then again, the tragedy that is called Detroit is ugly, and you can't get much more unsophisticated than south of 8 Mile in that town. I embrace the uniqueness that is Michigan or Georgia, and I've had a good life and great friends in both states. After living 40 years in Michigan and 20 years in Georgia I guess you can almost call me a "half- breed", and that's fine with me y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment