Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ennui / World weariness

I'm experiencing a tad bit of ennui or world weariness. No, it's not that I'm bored.It's the sadness that comes with seeing the same kind of disheartening events ,man made and natural, over and over throughout my life and realizing that I will continue to be a somewhat impotent witness to more of the same until I die. Examples: mass murders,misuse of political position,fruitless wars,insipid celebrity, extreme poverty, true hunger, rampant disease,physical abuse, widening gap between the haves and have nots, wild fires, tsunamis, hurricanes, floods,religious aberrations,hate speak,barbarians, mentally insane people wielding weapons,crudeness,ignorance - especially ignorance, manipulation, scam artists,etc, ad nauseum. I recognize that the world also demonstrates compassion, redemption, forgiveness, opportunity and potential for good. Many people seek, and work tirelessly for solutions, cures, interventions, and the outward expression of Love. I know the dichotomy between good and evil is inherent in human nature and the influence of the " seven deadly sins" is always at hand. I can only affect my immediate microcosm, but the onerous macrocosm wears on me, because as one becomes part of the older generation, one sees the mistakes and horrors of the past keep getting repeated with impunity and more horrendous efficiency. I believe in God,His Word,his omniscience and omnipotence. Consequently, the world is going to get a lot worse before it gets better ("Revelation"), and I wish my children would not have to experience the seven years of the Great Tribulation and the four horsemen of the Apocalypse, but in so many places on Earth, I am certain that many people feel like they are already experiencing it. Yes, despite its flaws, I am fortunate to live in middle class America. I could be living in a hell on Earth like the Sudan, Iran, North Korea, or a slum house in Chicago. Nevertheless,I wish the travesties,suffering, inhumanity, and tragedies of our world were not so prolific and pervasive.I don't want to become desensitized to other people's crises and traumas, but the sheer amount of really bad "news" can be mind numbing. I hope and pray that the cries and pleas in the Wilderness, so to speak, will be heard and the suffering people will not feel God forsaken. Keeping Faith can be the hardest trial of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment