Sunday, July 21, 2013

What the....?

My friend and I went to see " the Heat" on Friday, starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. The movie was enjoyable, and I would give it a "B" overall. I laughed, and I like gal pal movies, but the sheer amount of profanity became tiresome to me, and superfluous at times. A well placed curse word is effective in a story with rough and tough characters, but every other word( literally)of profanity becomes desensitizing. Do I swear? Yes. Am I a prude? No. However, curse words for shock value are no longer " shocking." Remember Rhett Butler/ Clark Gable saying , " Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" back in 1939? Well, 75 years later, that seven word sentence would be changed, and probably have the F bomb in it 3 times; "dear" would be changed to b...h or worse. Would it be more effective? I don't think so.The mischievous elegance of Rhett would be diminished. In fact, anyone who swears to much, too often is not evolved, and the coarse language is disrespectful of the people who are in earshot. Swearing doesn't make a man more manly or a woman more like one of the guys - unless you think men must be crass to be convincing. I don't happen to feel that way, and I especially don't like if- men - can- do - it - women- can- do - it mentality about vocabulary.Sure,swearing like a drunken sailor, so to speak, can be gender neutral - and age neutral for that matter, but it is certainly not refined. I will heed my own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment