Sunday, July 28, 2013

Truth be known

"God doesn't give you more than you can handle," the Good Book says. Truth be known, for me, I am not handling the situation with my daughter very well. Gina will be 18 in January, hopefully graduating from high school in June, and then we will have her move out of our house. I'm tired of hearing about 17 year olds as being " kids" ( like Trayvon Martin)and their waywardness is a phase, and they just need to have guidance and support. Well,Gina is incorrigible, irresponsible, unremorseful, ungrateful,and disrespectful.Now, so far, this sounds like " typical" teenage behavior. That's true; I've worked, as a high school teacher, most of my life with her age level. However, she has sociopathic tendencies; she chronically lies and steals, and she says she's sorry because she is caught, not because she means it. This has been going on since she was almost ten. She sees counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, probation officers( yes), attends group counseling,small groups at church, etc. Initially, she can be charming and sweet when you first meet her.I call it the " honeymoon" period. At school, the first 4- 6 weeks are ok, and then she inevitably gets belligerent with one or more of her teachers, and she starts skipping classes.I have friends and family say, "let me talk her, maybe I can straighten her out," or , " she can stay with me a while; she just needs some positive attention/ love." Really??? Refer to my posts of 3/26 and 5/4 concerning her RAD which is reactive attachment disorder . Also, she has some traits of my brother Gary(post 5/29 ).We are like oil and water. I don't believe much of what she says to me, and I catch her frequently in lies. She has lost my trust and I will not excuse her bad behavior anymore. She doesn't do drugs, as far as I can tell, and she hasn't been violent. That, of course, is a good thing, but all the rest of it creates an unviable living arrangement.We will find her other lodging as soon as she graduates.Al and I have done what we can; she needs to move out, so we can all move on. Prayers are appreciated; we've had enough advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment