Thursday, July 25, 2013

Past "needs"

When I think of all the " needed" items I used in my youth, I smile to myself. Nobody I know uses these things now. It dates me, of course. I used to use the dainty handkerchief;now I can use colorful Kleenex. I used to use kotex belts to hold the pads in place; now there is every " size " possible of tampons( I'm post menopausal, however). I had girdles with garters for our hosiery; now we use pantyhose ( if at all) and the " revolutionary" spanx. We had awful one piece, romper- room- like, dark blue gym outfits that were mandatory for class, and all the adolescent girls had to wear horrible bathing caps for swim sessions. We had truly uncomfortable curlers we wore overnight while sleeping, or worse - the crisscrossed Bobby pin torture. Hairspray was de regueur for the "ratted" hairstyles, and slips of every sort were mandatory undergarments.I wore watches every day. Not too many people wear them anymore because of the ubiquitous cellphone accessory. I predated computers, microwaves, fast food,home and car air-conditioning, color tv and remotes. I used carbon paper when typing on a type writer and we had rotary telephones. I'm glad all of this is history , not current events, but these kinds of inconveniences, curiously, are not what comes to mind when I have nostalgic memories.It's, thankfully, the unforgettable moments with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment