Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Somnambulism

Somnambulism, more commonly known as sleepwalking occurs in about 8 % of children ages 8-13. Well, I was a sleepwalker around the age of 12.I don't remember when it first started but once my parents knew about it, they monitored me, and I was definitely finished with sleepwalking by 13.5 years of age. The most serious problem is the potential for injury. Once, I was found outside in the middle of the night, and I was barefoot in the snow wearing just a nightgown. It was January, and the reason my dad found me was that I had left the front door open. He woke me up, but I was a bit disoriented and couldn't remember why I was there. Another time I was at my grandma's house and she found me in the kitchen. I had turned the oven on, and the only thing that I could remember about being in the kitchen was that I wanted to help my mom cook Thanksgiving dinner( It was July.)Much more is known now about parasomnia ( sleep disorders) than in 1964, but the doctors then just recommended parental vigilance and monitoring. I think Mom and Dad must have tag teamed. Just one more thing for them to handle with 4 children.I felt like a freak and became very anxiety ridden when I was supposed to go to sleep at night. I din't sleepwalk every night. Mom told me I did it once every week or so. I'm surprised that I never bothered my sister who shared a bed with me. Sleepwalking occurs apparently during slow wave sleep as opposed to REM sleep. Before the onset of sleepwalking, I was susceptible to extreme nightmares/ night terrors. Interestingly, about this time I was evaluated and found to have an above normal IQ of 132. It was found that either very low IQ people or higher iQ people tended to be sleepwalkers.Also, very few sleepwalkers are violent, and usually it is an adult sleepwalker concern. Again this didn't give me any solace,because I wasn't " normal" in my mind,and , of course, most middle school kids just want to fit in. I was so embarrassed by my parasomnia, I never told any of my friends about it. Coincidentally, I had an outbreak of large boils on my back at this time and I started my first period. I became extremely self- conscious and insecure.Consequently, the stress can exacerbate the sleep walking- kind of a vicious cycle. Well, all's well that ends well as the Bard would say, and this too eventually passed. It took me a while to enjoy sleeping again, but eventually I did. In fact, I have very vivid dreams( another post sometime), and I can fall asleep rather easily.It has been almost 50 years since this episode in my life, so I no longer worry that I will sleep perchance to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment