Monday, April 1, 2013

Friends

I have met many people during my life, but I can count on two hands my closest friends( excluding my husband and sister). Of those closest to me, most of them live in places other than GA, so I don't see them very often, yet I will be forever connected to them. However,having a close friend nearby keeps me sane, and I have someone to call at 3am if absolutely needed. All that I just wrote is fairly typical I suppose. But what is not typical is that I really don't feel like I need any more friends than I already have. To have a friend, you have to be a friend, as the saying goes, and that is a juggling act at times. I have lots of acquaintances, but the kind of time that goes into fostering an intimate, ongoing relationship gets more difficult the older I become, so I savor the sisterhood of those I already know.That's not to say that I couldn't develop any more close ties, but my dearest friends are women I have known for decades, and they know who they are....now this next statement is a selfish one; I hope my dear "girlfriends" outlive me. I would be devastated if they were to pass on before I do. They are irreplaceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment