Monday, April 15, 2013

Health

I don't feel well today, so I'm going to bed and taking a rest. I'm sure it is symptomatic of my parathyroid issue. In general, I feel really good, but the combination of post- menopause,my gland problem and my AARP age is a perfect storm right now. You know, I used to think - until I was around 50- that I would never talk about ailments, health issues , "moans, groans, and bones" the way I would hear the older folk do.Never is a long time.... I think it is a universal theme for the older generation ; moderate complaining seems ubiquitous. Really I don't have anything to gripe about considering I have many, many brave friends with very serious health diagnoses - bone cancer, MS, Guillian- barre, tumors, severe arthritis, Post- polio, broken backs,etc. When I hear myself whining, I stop and think of them and their courage. Also, I think about our wonderful soldiers and what they go through daily. In comparison, I am a wimp. Being healthy is a blessing; many of us take it for granted ; I know that I have. My mother died when she was 57. She had a very serious disease, Addison's Disease, which contributed to her death. I rarely heard her complain. My father died at 70 of adenocarcinoma; he was a stalwart guy, and died with dignity and no balking.My sister had polio when she was very young and I've always admired her resilience and feistiness. Their strong faith sustained them!I will try to take the lessons from their playbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment