Thursday, May 2, 2013

Jim

My older brother Jim and I were born 16 months apart.We were more than just close because of our birth dates. We had many of the same friends and interests. Jim would have had a birthday May 5th, so I've been thinking about him.My brother was murdered September 1978 at age 27 by a wacko neighbor who shot him at point blank range.He was married with two young children and he died too soon, too young and too suddenly. His potential was unrealized.We were all in shock.My parents never got over his death, but they were stoic, nevertheless. He was buried next to my first husband, who had died five years before that. They had been close friends. In fact, Jim had introduced me to Cliff when I was a senior in high school. Two wonderful young men, who I loved dearly,were gone, a weird twist of fate that rattled me. Also, Jim's dear friend Bill and my dear friend Gay Ann married , and Jim and I became godparents for their first son,Matthew. Ironically, Cliff was to be Matt's godfather, but Cliff died just before Matt was born, so Jim was asked. We were all part of a small, intimate group of friends, and both deaths profoundly influenced them as well. One of my best memories of my brother was that he and I danced a lot together, not just at family weddings, but at"clubs" too. We both fancied ourselves as good dancers, and we would show off and have so much fun.Another happy memory was that he really enjoyed making blueberry pies, and he'd never tell me his "secret recipe"; those pies were to die for( no pun intended).We were also card partners frequently for pinochle and euchre, and we were ruthless. He was a good father and husband, a hard worker and a loving son. His two children are now married and have children of their own.Every time I see his son Jeff , I'm reminded of Jim, because Jeff looks so much like his dad. My brother would have been so proud of his children and grandchildren. He was a family man,much like our dad, and loved to be with his kids. He would have only been 62 on his upcoming birthday, still time to have accomplished so much. I loved him deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment