Saturday, April 13, 2013

TV

During Lent, I gave up watching TV on weekdays.This was very difficult for me( but I did it).It isn't that I watch TV all day, because the shows I follow are in the evening, except for "Days of our Lives" which I DVR. I have watched it fairly regularly since my college years. Ok, I know "Days" is a soap opera , but when a person has followed a show for forty years, the loyalty is there. However, by recording it, I can watch what I want in about 15 minutes, because I only am interested in a few characters not all the plot lines. Someone might say,"Really, Linda?" but being a "Doolie" is somewhat like a guilty pleasure. Actually, I am a political and news junkie, so that was why I chose to give up TV for 40 days. It was refreshing actually, and now I am weaned for the most part from that obsession.To say that I am dismayed with our dysfunctional government is an understatement, but that is another blog post to write.Anyway, by not covering the news cycle minutiae, I have a better disposition.In any case, to say I "watch" TV is a kind of misnomer. I record my preferences, and choose when I want to see them - except HBO on Sunday- see below. Some nights there is nothing I regularly record( why is there a dearth on M, T, W, S?) For the most part, I don't like much network stuff, but I am an avid fan of "Big Bang Theory". That show makes me truly laugh out loud. Another network show I am being drawn to is "Hannibal." The casting is good for one thing, but I don't know how long I'll be interested.I am a Sunday night, 9 pm , HBO fanatic; it started with the "Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under." Right now it's "Game of Thrones".I love that show and especially Peter Dinklage. I've read Martin's books, and GoT is fairly faithful. Then there is "Boardwalk Empire" .I am so hooked. The other show I follow is on Showtime and that is "Dexter." So I guess you can say that I pretty much seem to enjoy programs with antihero roles. "True Blood" was a good show, in fact, the first season with vampire Bill. Which brings me to the point that if a show has bad writing,I just can't stick with it.Also, I don't care much for reality shows or talk shows- to each her own. Thanks toTV, I know more than I ever wanted to know about such things as swamp people, hoarders, Amish Mafia and a pathetic Honey Boo Boo. I do appreciate stations like PBS, NatGeo, History Channel, but I zone out with TCM. Old B/W classic movies are mothers' milk, opiates for movie junkies. Consequently, TV programming has something for everybody, but, except for the above mentioned , I prefer to read ( BTW, if you love GoT, read George Martin's superlative "Ice and Fire" series).

No comments:

Post a Comment