Sunday, April 21, 2013

Astronomy

I love the night sky. Looking at stars, planets, constellations, et.al., makes me happy and it's relaxing. The vastness of space is awesome and amazing,and I 've been curious about astronomy since I was a kid. It was one of my minors in college, and I loved to go to Ann Arbor's observatory.Consequently, I'm also fascinated with planetariums.The problem with where I currently live is there is often too much light pollution and the city isn't dark enough for star gazing. One of my best experiences was just last year in Hawaii on Mauna Kea. Spectacular( but very cold) and breathtaking. Tomorrow night( 4/22) is a new moon, and coincidentally there should be a stunning Lyrid meteor shower most of the late night, so the moonless night should make for good viewing here in Georgia. I hope so. Many times I've gone outdoors for an anticipated stellar event only to be disappointed. I have yet to see the Northern Lights - on my bucket list. Some viewings demand travel, so I hope to go way north one of these years for prime observing of that incredible display. I don't think I could be an astronaut, however, even though I have fantasized about it; I get motion sickness in cars, let alone spacecraft and G force. Maybe one day they'll figure out how to take people into space without the motion problem, kind of astral projection so to speak. Beam me up Scotty!

No comments:

Post a Comment