Sunday, December 1, 2013

Acting my age

Youth is wasted on the young, it is said. Not that I didn't have an exuberant and exhilarating ride in my twenties and thirties; I did. Now that I'm 61, however, I don't know what "acting my age" is supposed to look like. My kids don't want me to embarrass them, and neither does my husband.I'm told that I shouldn't do this or that, or I'm too "old" to do this or that, and I start to believe that I am delusional.I realize my appearance now includes very thin hair, a double chin, laugh lines and crow's feet, batwing arms and signs of gravity. I have considered a facelift and other cosmetic " improvements", but I chicken out, and after all, how would that be aging gracefully? I used to have a large number of stilettos; now I just want to wear Toms. Isn't that showing my age/ wisdom? I used to stay up until all hours of the night. Now I am usually in bed most nights by 10. So if I want to kick up my heels every once in while, why am I judged? Why the heck should care if I'm judged? I realize that these questions are a big part of why I like trips. Not only do I travel,see new places, take a break from routine, and feel pampered,I tend to be less inhibited and more demonstrative. It's not that I want to be someone I'm not;I like to be the expressive person I was when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment