Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Christian at Christmas

I haven't been feeling like writing much lately. I usually love to sit and bloviate, but recently it seems that I have been repeating myself, and I 'm boring myself with redundancy. I wanted to talk a minute about Christmas and all the festivities and hoopla around that blessed day. I love the Christmas story - and all things Jesus- and a sense of well- being accompanies this season of the year, at least for me. I recently found out someone very dear to me is going to be ordained, and I was overwhelmed with joy. I felt a pang of envy as well, however, because, even though I have considered seminary in the past, I haven 't had the calling. I'm at peace with that, but I admire those who are so bold and called to be ministers; their faith is certain and mostly unwavering. They are certainly blessed.I 'm thankful we live in a country where our faith isn't persecuted; nevertheless, Christianity is often mocked and ridiculed; I do not understand the judgmental skeptics and secularists who do not want to be judged themselves. I enjoy both the sacred and secular music, decorations, activities of Christmas.I enjoy "Silver Bells", and I love to sing "Angels we have heard on High"and O ,Holy Night".Taking a ride to see the night lights is wonderful, and I like watching kids when they get on Santa's lap for photos. I love family presents and holiday foods.Everyone does. But the " reason for the season" is not a cliche to me. I love how Christ's birthday is celebrated for over a month. I love Sunday services and especially Christmas Eve service. "in excelsis Deo". I love the manger; I also love the empty cross and empty tomb.I use the word love in this post a lot, because Christ is Love. Have a joyous, merry Christmas! For Christians, as the song says,"it is the night of our dear Savior's birth." That is good news,and to that I say, "Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment