Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Books that affected me

I have been asked to name 10 books that have influenced me and/ or have had a tremendous impact on my Life. Well, I'll try to narrow it down by categories, but, come on, I was an English lit teacher for 32 years. So I will list what I mainly read before age 21. Because, after 21, I made challenges for myself: a book by each of the Pulitzer winners, a book by each of the Nobel winners, self- help books, books in French and Spanish. Category by itself: Bible ( mainly KJV) Mystery: Nancy Drew books- my first was "The Hidden Staircase".( I read them all in 2nd grade when my mom gave me her set.)Then read Agatha Christie's Poirot series and Doyle 's Sherlock Holmes stories. Period romances/ heroines: Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Tess of the d'Urbervilles,Madame Bovary, all Jane Austen. category by himself - and yea he wasn 't a " novelist": Shakespeare.Fantasy: Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy, Chronicles of Narnia series. The first books that I taught: " The Good Earth ", " The Great Gatsby", " A Farewell to Arms" , " the Scarlet Letter." I read to and with my children: Series of unfortunate Events , all Harry potter books. So.... 10 books, for better or worse and in no particular order: 1)Vonnegut- Slaughterhouse Five 2)Austen-Pride and Prejudice 3)Hamlet( yea, it's a play) 4)Tolkien-Hobbit 5)Buck- The Good Earth 6)Hawthorne- the Scarlet Letter 7)Eco- Foucault's Pendulum 8)Solzenistyn(sp?)- one Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich 9)Woolf - mrs.Dalloway 10)Joyce- Ullysses.

No comments:

Post a Comment