Sunday, August 3, 2014

Places I've seen- I love to travel

I was blessed with parents who took us on family trips each year(affordable camping).Besides seeing most of my incredibly beautiful, home state of Michigan, they took us to most of the national parks during my childhood. They instilled in me an appreciation of our country's magnificent beauty. The first foreign country I visited was Canada (because I lived in Michigan). I vividly can draw to mind the wondrous majesty of Niagara Falls! Then, when I was sixteen( many moons ago) I lived in Alsace, France as an exchange student and developed a tolerance for cultures different than my own,where I fell in love for the first time,had my first glass of champagne, and became a francophile foodie. I first visited Colombia, South America, with Alfredo when I was 23. It really opened my eyes to 3rd world country issues such as overt corruption and the chasm between rich and poor( no middle class).Of course, it is from where we eventually adopted our daughter.I have been to a few places in Mexico, but Rosarita's sunset over the ocean while sipping tequila with dear friends was sheer poetry. The French side of St. Martin was tres jolie and decadent( La Samana my Jeannine?)I did a whirlwind tour of Europe with Janet( mainly sleeping in a pup tent) the month before I married in 1980. That's when I fell in love with Italy and have been back to that country a few times.No matter where I walked, beauty, history, great people, delicious food and wine were everywhere, and Rome and Venice fascinate me. Since 1993, I have been taking cruises almost every other year.I guess you either love them or hate them; I obviously adore them.I've seen much of the Caribbean and Europe this way. My three favorites however have been Alaska, Mediterranean and Greece. In 2005, we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows while in Glacier Bay. 2008 we saw most of the med cities, and I would go back to Monaco and Mallorca in a heartbeat. Sipping coffee while people watching was incredible.And in 2012 we cruised the Greek Isles. One of those perfect moments of Life was when Al, Adam, Gina and I were seated at a cafe having sorbet, staring out at the beautiful caldera and waters of Santorini with Greek music playing.We were all smiling and the view was so peaceful.It was a slice of Heaven. I haven't been to Australia, but New Zealand is on my bucket list because I have had a pen pal since age 12 who lives in Christchurch. I haven't been to Asia,but I have always wanted to go Kyoto ( sumo, kabuki, geisha, tea, temples). I want to go to St. Petersburg ( Hermitage) and we hope to do that in conjunction with World Cup in 2018. Our next trip is a cruise out of NY to Bermuda and we'll be going through the Panama Canal next year. I love many areas in the U.S.,too, of course, especially Napa,New Orleans, and anywhere Oceanside. People tell me how much money we could save if we didn't travel - fix the house,yada,yada. I guess I would say to them that we all have different priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment