Monday, March 18, 2013

Parents

On the occasion of what would have been my parents' 64th anniversary, I want to say how undeniably fortunate I was to have Ruth Ann and Benjamin Shelton as my mentors, critics, encouragers,admonishers, and unconditional givers of Love. Not all children are blessed to have both parents' guidance and positive influence. I loved our family camping trips, our holiday gatherings, and even watching the "Ed Sullivan Show" together. They were not highly educated people.Nevertheless, my mom exposed me to the "cultured" life. Dad would take me gladly to cello and piano lessons , and I learned a lot of history from him. Mom- thank you for my church upbringing. Dad- thank you for giving me a love for baseball/ Detroit Tigers and your quiet strength. ...and oh do I miss my mom's cooking. I can truthfully say I was never ashamed of my parents( embarrassed, at times, yes) ,and because of them, I wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember. I wish that my own children would have been able to be around them. Mom and Dad loved being grandparents to my nieces and nephews ;I know they would have been wonderful with Adam and Gina, too. I miss them every day. The loving memories are long and deep....I wish all sons and daughters could be so richly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment