Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Costumes

I loved wearing a good costume ( present tense - not so much). In my 20's and 30's I always dressed up for Halloween, not in scary outfits but rather in outfits that fulfilled a fantasy of some sort.I always wore wigs with them, too. One time, I used a beautiful old dress of my mom's, found a vintage hat,long gloves,put on some seamed hose and wore a fox throw - and of course the right kind of high heels.I tried to replicate what a female would wear in the 1940 's - my favorite movie era. Another evening, I put on a trench coat and sunglasses and pretended to be Mata Hari.I spent a lot of time doing a geisha costume one year in honor of Puccini's Madame Butterfly. In my mind and costuming, I've been a gypsy, Madame Curie, Jane Austin, Margot Fonteyn,Cleopatra, Queen Elizabeth 1, Spock's girlfriend, Annie Oakley, an angel, an apparition, Joan of Arc and one of my favorites was Lady Godiva - but I was covered in Godiva chocolate, not nude( I actually thought up this one myself). There are photographs hidden away.... I love masks too, but I collect them; I rarely wear them. So, of course, I loved seeing Adam and Gina dressed up for Halloween when they were younger.Gina was a doll dressed up as a cat in the hat, Dora- the splitting image , a lion , and perfect as an angel when she was three.:) Adam would have "twofers" using a costume different ways,one year Robin Hood, next year Peter Pan; one year Men-in- Black guy, next year James Bond. He's been a Zelda guy, Harry Potter ( quidditch player), power ranger,a monk and more. Lots of photos of both my babes. Oh and one more random thing about Halloween that has nothing to do with costumes. From when Adam was about nine years old, he would carve the pumpkins every year - until he was about 18. They were elaborate and a couple of years, he even won contests. (proud mama moments). Al has only put on costumes the times that I can count on one hand.He was memorable as a sheik and a caveman. Authentic looking costumes with details take a lot of work ; I am lazier now and don't put in the time to create them any more; besides that, some of these looks just wouldn't work well with my 60 year old face and body, but it's all good.... All in all, the above mentioned times remain as vivid images in my mind and always bring a smile to my face when I think of them.... :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment