Friday, January 3, 2014

My magnificent mom

Today I am thinking fondly of my beautiful mother and the many wonderful lessons she indirectly taught me through example( the best way).She died 25 years ago today, and not a day goes by that I don't think about her.She died way too young at age 57.She was seriously ill many of those years, and she coped with a lot of tragedy; she frequently demonstrated "grace under pressure." The Bette Midler version of the song "Wind Beneath My Wings" is my anthem for her. She was my hero.She was not college educated although she could have excelled. She was a traditional, stay-at-home mom who was the glue of our family. She was very orderly, organized and fastidious with the small home where I grew up.6 people, 3 bedrooms,1 bath, but we were comfortable. Her bedroom was pristine and nary a thing out of place. That small room seemed like a haven to me and was very soothing, where I could smell the faint fragrances of Oil of Olay and dusting powder, and smile. I was rarely " upset" with Mom; I was usually in awe of her. She cooked like a kitchen witch, and about the only food she prepared that I couldn 't swallow,so to speak, was liver. Mom could do anything creative that she put her mind to doing- painting, ceramics, sewing, knitting, crocheting, decorating. She could stretch a dollar very far, and always had two ongoing slush funds- for the annual family vacation and for Christmas.My parents lived modestly and frugally, but even though they didn't have a lot of money, my mom "gave" generously of her time and energy to many wonderful causes.Also,Mom was an avid reader and loved to listen to Broadway musicals.I guess I got both of those interests from her.My mom didn't smoke, rarely had a drink, and almost never cursed.She loved entertaining, and she( and Dad) taught me manners, respect and showing Love.I was fortunate to have a stable, loving childhood, and a great personal relationship with my parents when I became an adult; in fact, they lived with Al and me the last few years before she died. My mom was not pretentious, nor arrogant, nor mean-spirited.However, she ran a tight ship and had high expectations of us. She was very wise and gave me sage advice.She influenced me greatly - religion, politics,travel,the Arts,food,family, loyalty, morals, candor and character.Of course she wasn't perfect;I know she was very opinionated and controlling - I have those failings as well.She wasn't shy about showing emotions; neither am I.( In fact, I wish I had more of my dad's stoicism.) Still, I think that as far as all the quality people I have known, she is right up at the top of that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment