Monday, February 2, 2015

No hyperbole

Sometimes people say they almost died (more figuratively than literally). Well, I did almost die. Here's a story....Back in November my primary physician sent me for some tests because my blood pressure could not seem to get regulated through medicine, etc."Irregularities" took me to a cardiologist, who went through a sequence of more tests including a nuclear stress test and a pet scan.He decided I should get a heart Cath to make sure everything would be ok.I was asymptomatic for the most part, but they found a 90% blockage on my main artery , and put a stent in.Wow, that in itself was unexpected. However, it's not the Cath or the subsequent stent that is unusual.I know many people have had those procedures. Everybody kept telling me , "It will be ok", yada, yada. Well.... After the stent was put in, complications occurred that less than 1% of people have with this procedure. My IV was"positional" and not enough blood thinner was able to get to the heart; I developed a blood clot which had to have suctioned out and I was sent to OR from recovery so another Cath was put in my groin ( again not unusual) to get the clot; this was emergency enough but then my blood pressure plummeted, and they could not get it stabilized.( something like 40/20). They did another scan and found "serum sanguine" surrounding my heart and not letting the heart pump, probably due to either now too much thinner or a micro perforation.They opened my chest ( euphemistically called a window)and had to insert tube as well to get the excess fluid out.( 15 staples)Meanwhile, I had aspirated into my lungs so I was intubated as well. Good grief! An outpatient procedure- or with an overnight stay if I needed a balloon/ stent- turned into 2 nights in cardiac ICU and 5 days more on the cardiac unit. My nurses were wonderful but I must say I had to let go of my dignity with all the care I had to receive. I have been home now 4 days and will be recuperating for a while.My staples need to be taken out soon and I currently have no energy. I seem to be getting a little better each day. I should be resuming activities and driving, with in reason, by the 10th( coincidentally, my son's birthday). I thank everybody for their continued prayers for healing. When I feel more cogent and stable, I will revisit all the medical reports surrounding these events. I believe the clot and serum sanguine issues were preventable. We will see.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't aware anything was wrong. I'm glad you caught it in time! I'm praying for you to get well soon!

    ReplyDelete